2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 pound cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
1/2 cup water
1/4 pound tomatoes, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan or a skillet with a lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat and saut the onion for a few minutes. Add the jalapeno, garlic, ginger, cumin and turmeric along with a pinch of salt.
2. Saute for 1-2 more minutes, then add the potatoes, tomatoes and the water, cover, and simmer 6-8 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower, cover the pot and simmer another 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in the garam masala and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with brown or white rice. Fragrant basmati rice is the traditional complement to Indian flavors; serve with naan bread and a side of cucumber raita (chopped or shredded cucumbers with yogurt and mint).