2 firm-ripe pears (about 1 pound total)
2 tablespoons butter
6 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mascarpone cheese or whipped cream cheese
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
Preheat oven to 425°F.
1. Rinse, peel and core pears. Cut into 1-inch chunks.
2. Melt butter in a 9-10 inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and turn occasionally until lightly browned and tender when pierced, 7-8 minutes.
3. While the pears are cooking, in a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until blended. Remove skillet from heat and pour egg mixture over pears.
5. Bake 8-12 minutes, until frittata is golden brown and set in the center when pan is gently shaken.
5. Cut into wedges to serve. Spoon cheese on top and sprinkle with brown sugar.