I’ve come to the conclusion that anyone who hates Brussels sprouts must be preparing them incorrectly. Baked Brussels sprouts have the crispy, nutty flavor of kale chips. With the tang of balsamic vinegar and sweet maple-glazed walnuts, these sprouts are the best kind candy.
1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, halved
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup walnut pieces
½ cup maple syrup
Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay Brussels sprouts, cut side down, on a 18x13 baking sheet in a single layer. Coat with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Let bake in oven for 5 to 7 minutes, then remove sprouts from oven and coat with balsamic vinegar. Return sprouts to oven and let bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until they are crispy on the outside.
- Heat walnuts and syrup over low to medium heat. Stir in pan until the syrup coats and begins to caramelize on walnuts. Do not let the syrup burn. Remove walnuts from heat and let cool.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts and walnuts together and serve hot.