Chicken, Cheese and Chard… Hence the Chi Chi in these enchiladas! Enjoy the goodness of this balanced meal all wrapped up in a corn tortilla!
12-16 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon oil
1 ½ cups Swiss chard, chiffonade into ¼ inch strips
1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch half moons
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 ½ cups shredded chicken breast and thigh meat from a pre-roasted chicken
1 can enchilada sauce (green or red)
- Remove corn tortillas from plastic and wrap completely with foil.
- Place in oven to soften tortillas at 200° F.
- Heat pan on stove over medium high heat.
- Once pan is hot, add oil and heat for a minute (don’t let it smoke.)
- Put chard, onion, garlic and spices in pan and stir. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Combine shredded chicken and cheese in a bowl and mix evenly.
- Add onion mixture and stir together all ingredients.
- Remove tortillas one at a time to insure softness.
- Put 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mix into tortilla, roll tightly, and place in oiled baking dish.
- Repeat with all 12-16 tortillas. At this point, you can continue with recipe, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to three days, or cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to three months.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Pour enchilada sauce over all enchiladas.
- Cover dish with foil and place in oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with cheese and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or cover with foil.