This cake is sure to bring everyone together in the morning with its rich flavor and creamy texture. It pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl stir together the sour cream and baking soda.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and 6 cups of the granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and then beat in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture and stir the batter until it is combined well.
- Pour ½ the batter into a buttered 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a small bowl stir together the remaining 2 cups granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon and pour the sugar mixture evenly over the pans of batter.
- Pour remaining half of batter and swirl with a knife for a marbled appearance.
- Bake the cakes in the middle rack for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Transfer them to a rack and let cool.