6-8 ounces Clark Farms bacon, cut crosswise into ¼ thick strips
3½-4 pounds Clark Farms 100% grass fed chuck roast, cross rib roast, shank steaks or stew meat-cut in 2 inch cubes or left whole
3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
12 ounces shallots, peeled and cut in half
12 ounces mushrooms, cut in half
4 carrots: one peeled and sliced, and three cut across on the bias into 2-inch wedges
1 onion, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or 3 potatoes) as a thickener
3 cups red wine, preferably burgundy, cabernet sauvignon or a hearty red
1½ teaspoon dried thyme or sprig of fresh thyme, leaves only, no stems
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of salt
1. Brown bacon in a cast iron skillet. Remove and place in a crock pot or Dutch oven. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
2. Pat dry the beef with a paper towel and add to skillet to brown. If you cubed the beef, too much meat in the skillet at one time will not allow the beef to brown so brown in portions. Transfer the beef to a crock pot or Dutch oven.
3. Add 1/3 of the butter or olive oil to the skillet and sauté shallots and 2 inch carrot wedges. Cook until evenly golden. Place in a side dish. Use half of the remaining butter or olive oil and sauté mushrooms. Remove mushrooms and add to the dish of shallots and carrot wedges and place side dish in the refrigerator.
4. Sauté onions in remaining butter or olive oil. Add sliced carrot and minced garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour and cook for 2 minutes more until light golden.
5. Add the wine and herbs to the skillet of carrots, garlic, onions and flour. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently and scraping the skillet to get all the drippings. If using potatoes instead of flour to thicken, follow the above step but omit the flour. Cube potatoes and add directly to crock pot or Dutch oven for cooking.
6. Pour the liquid mixture into the crock pot or Dutch oven covering the meat. Add stock or water if needed to cover the meat when pressed down. If using a Dutch oven, cook covered in the lower third of a preheated 350°F oven cooking for 3-6 hours until meat is very tender. If using a crock pot, cook covered on high or low, depending on your crock pot, for 6 hours.
7. When meat is tender, add the mushrooms, shallots and carrot wedges and stir in. Continue to cook for 30 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and serve over noodles or rice.