Make a classic dessert with this easy to follow recipe and serve still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
4-5 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
2 tablespoons arrowroot
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 recipe of a 9-inch double crust
1 egg or ¼ cup milk for crust
Preheat oven to 425° F
- Place all ingredients except pie crust in bowl and mix well until evenly combined.
- Place bottom crust in pan. Fill with apple mixture, mounded slightly.
- Cover with a lattice work of crust. Brush with milk or egg if desired.
- Bake 15 minutes in the oven. Reduce temperature to 350° F.
- Continue baking for 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft.