This favorite among kids is easy to make and can be made ahead and frozen in batches. Add in frozen peas or a handful of chopped parsley.
1 (8 ounce) package of macaroni
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
Ground pepper, to taste
2 cups milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add flour to the melted butter and stir until well blended using a whisk.
- Stir until flour mixture becomes golden brown. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour milk in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- In a buttered baking dish, place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.