A protein-rich twist on a classic and delicious soup.
4 cups organic broccoli, trimmed
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
½ organic yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon organic black pepper
1/3 cup organic unbleached wheat flour
2 cups organic 2% milk
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Trim broccoli stems, chop florets and stem.
- Steam in a pot until soft, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sauté chopped onions, marjoram, salt and pepper until slightly caramelized.
- Add flour to make roux, sauté until evenly combined and slightly browned.
- Add veggie stock and milk. Mix well, and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer until soup thickens.
- Add steamed broccoli and cooked quinoa and turn off heat.
- Place soup in a blender or food processor and mix till desired consistency. Pour soup back into pot and add cheese, mixing until cheese is melted.