Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups milk (or stock)
2 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
½ pound stinging nettles
Salt, pepper and grated nutmeg to taste
Dollop of sour cream or yogurt
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add shallots and salt. Cook until shallots are soft.
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add nettles and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a food processor. For the smoothest texture, soup may be poured through a sieve.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.