This curried cabbage is a great side dish for a heavier meal.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 dry red chilies, stalks removed
10 curry leaves
¼ teaspoon asafetida
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 head of cabbage, chopped
1/3 cup grated coconut (or desiccated/unsweetened coconut hydrated in some warm water)
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
Juice of ½ lime or to taste
Cilantro for garnish, chopped
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet or wok. When you see ripples on the surface of the oil, add a mustard seed. If the oil is hot enough, it will sizzle and then pop.
- Add the whole spices and stir for 10 seconds or till the mustard seeds start popping.
- Sizzle the asafetida and turmeric for 5 seconds before mixing in the cabbage and coconut.
- Sauté the cabbage for 5 minutes or till soft but with some crunch.
- Add salt and lime juice to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve as a side.