3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 ounces pancetta, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1/3 cup chopped fennel fronds (green lacy part of the fennel)
2 fennel bulbs, sliced into half-moon shaped pieces
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound fettucini pasta
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, for garnish
Roma tomato, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and pancetta. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
3. Add the fennel fronds, fennel seeds, fennel wedges and pepper flakes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil the fettuccini and cook until just al dente. Toast pine nuts until lightly browned and set aside.
5. Add the heavy cream to the fennel and cook about 5 minutes more. Mix the pasta and fennel together. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with cheese and tomato, if using.