2 cups organic all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 rounded teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk*
2-3 pears, peeled and small diced
*If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, combine slightly less than one cup milk with one tablespoon white vinegar. Let it sit for about five minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or line the muffin tins.
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Once combined, add the egg, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
3. Gently mix in the buttermilk.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the diced pears.
5. Ladle into muffin cups. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes.