This recipe offers plenty of leeway to concoct fun flavor combinations, like dried cranberries and walnuts, or dried mangoes and coconut butter.
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups prepared trail mix from bulk bins, or nuts, seeds and dried fruit of your choice
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup honey
¼ cup barley malt syrup
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup almond butter, or other nut butter
Preheat oven to 325°F. Oil a 7 ½“x 11 ½“ baking dish.
- For a more robust flavor, place oats on a sheet pan and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Nuts and seeds can be toasted in the same way for just 6-7 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine oats, trail mix and salt.
- Pour brown rice syrup and honey in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low boil for 2-3 minutes. Add oil and almond butter and heat until thoroughly mixed and an even consistency.
- Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients and combine until evenly mixed.
- Let cool, and then flip out onto a cutting board and cut into 18 bars. Wrap in waxed paper to keep the bars from drying out.