1 pound spicy (or mild) pork chorizo (4 links), casings removed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika (Pimenton de la Vera is good)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes (4 medium), chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small bunch red or green kale, chopped (about 4 cups loosely packed)
1/2 cup heavy cream (or 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar for a dairy-free option)
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. When hot, crumble the chorizo into the pot in small pieces.
2. Cook undisturbed for 2 minutes, then stir for an additional 2-3 minutes, breaking up any larger pieces, until almost browned on all sides.
3. Add the onion to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Regulate heat as necessary.
4. Stir in the garlic and paprika, cook for 2 minutes, and then add the broth and potatoes.
5. Bring the soup up to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
6. Add the kale and cream and simmer another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot.