1 1 & 1/2 lbs dry packed scallops
2 - 4 tablespoons clarified butter (a.k.a Ghee)
1/3 cup white miso paste
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sake (add more to thin the sauce if you like)
2-3 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Thai Kitchen Chili paste
Fresh ground black pepper
Sliced green onion (garnish optional)
1. Whisk together the miso paste, sake, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and chili paste, either by hand or in a blender.
2. Ladle a bit of sauce on four plates or one large platter (when the scallops are done you will set the scallops on the sauce and then garnish with the green onion).
3. In a large heavy bottom skillet, heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium high heat.
4. Season the scallops with a little salt and pepper.
5. When the butter is hot and frothy, add the scallops but dont overcrowd the pan. You may need to cook the scallops in batches.
6. Let the scallops brown (about 1-2 minutes) and when they easily pull off the bottom of the pan, turn them over and brown the other side, adjusting heat as necessary.
7. Transfer the scallops to the plates or platter laced with the Miso-Saki Glaze.