1 cup butter, softened
1 cup organic sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large nectarines, coarsely chopped
2 cups fresh blueberries
Sliced nectarines, fresh blueberries, and/or lemon rind to garnish
1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°. Oil and flour two 8-inch round pans.
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yolk disappears. Add vanilla, beating just until blended.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat batter at low speed just until blended.
3. Gently fold in nectarines and blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Frosting and assembly:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
2. Spread 1/2 cup frosting evenly on top of one cake layer; top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.