This traditional Asian dish consists of delicious spinach with toasted sesame seeds.
1 bunch spinach, rinsed well
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Fill a shallow pan with water 1 inch deep and bring to a boil.
- Place cleaned spinach carefully into pan and cover for 1 minute. Drain off hot water and immediately add cold water over spinach to cover.
- Let stand for 1 minute. Ring out excess water from spinach (like you would a wet towel) and chop spinach into 1 inch pieces, including stems and roots.
- In a dry pan heated on medium heat, toast sesame seeds till they turn light toasty brown and begin to pop.
- Grind in a suribachi or mortar and pestle.
- Once all seeds have been crushed, combine sugar and soy sauce.
- Mix into chopped spinach until sesame seed mix in evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.
Makes 4-6 servings.