Stretch one fillet of salmon to feed your whole family with these flavorful and nutrient packed cakes. Salmon is a wonderful source of omega-3 fatty acids, an important oil that has been shown to support heart health.
1 pound salmon, cooked and broken apart
¾ cup bread crumbs, or cooked quinoa or bulgur wheat
¼ cup chives or green onion, chopped fine
¼ cup parsley, chopped fine
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme, fresh, chopped fine
1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh, chopped fine
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons oil (refined canola, safflower, or sunflower are good for high heat)
- Bake salmon in a 400° oven for about 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Place salmon in a large bowl
- Mix bread crumbs, green onions, chopped herbs, salt, and pepper in with the salmon.
- Stir in the eggs and mayonnaise until everything is combined and can form a patty.
- Form 8-10 patties.
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium-high heat and fry the cakes until golden brown on both sides.
- To store in the freezer for up to 1 month, place uncooked on a baking tray till frozen, then put in freezer bags including as little air as possible. Can be cooked straight from the freezer.