1 tablespoon oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ onion, sliced
1 apple, cut into ½ ” long matchsticks
1 bunch kale, cut into small strips
2 tablespoons water
4 oz. goat cheese feta
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 sheets puff pastry
This recipe is a great appetizer or breakfast. If you don’t feel like working with puff pastry or you don’t eat wheat, enjoy just the filling as a side dish.
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
1. Place a sauté pan on medium heat and add oil, garlic and onions. Sauté until onions are translucent.
2. Add apples and continue stirring until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Add kale and water to mixture and let it steam until kale becomes wilted but not over cooked, another 2-3 minutes.
3. Take pan off the heat, stir in goat cheese, juice of ½ lemon, salt and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
4. Flatten puff pastry sheets, cut into 6 squares, about 4”x4” each.
5. Break egg into bowl and whisk with a fork.
6. Place 3 tablespoons filling into the center of the square and brush edge of square with egg.
7. Fold the square in half to form a triangle. Seal the edges by using the tip of a fork to press and form small crimps. Use a knife to cut 2-3 small slits into the top for steam to vent. Brush egg over the top.
8. Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown.