One of the best parts about summer is the endless options of grilled food! Since my diet requires me to avoid grains, I was attempting to make a bun-less chicken sandwich. I decided why not eggplant? I used leftover chicken breast I baked the day before, but feel free to use this “bun” for any of your favorite burger or sandwich recipes. Don’t hesitate to add as many toppings or spreads as you’d like!
2 slices eggplant
2 teaspoons of salt
2-3 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons of cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon of Spicy Mustard
¼ small onion, sliced
4 ounces of baked chicken, cut in strips
Preheat grill or oven to 450°F.
- Rinse eggplant, cut off ends, and slice into ½ inch slices.
- Spread slices out on a flat surface and sprinkle salt on each. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to sweat out water and bitter flavor. (Scrape off excess salt granules once time is up)
- Drizzle Worcestershire sauce and liberally sprinkle cracked pepper on both sides of two eggplant slices. Make sure sauce has absorbed completely.
- Grill eggplant for about 10 minutes, turning once, or until tender.
- Grill jalapeno at the same time as eggplant and remove when most of the skin is blistered, then chop into slices.
- Spread mustard on eggplant and layer greens, jalapenos, onion, and chicken on one slice.
- Top with your other eggplant slice and voila! You’ve got yourself a delicious sandwich!