2 tablespoons butter or oil for frying
6 cups packed chopped greens (washed, mixture of milder greens with spicy or bitter greens)
1 package phyllo dough, thawed
1 cup oil or melted butter for brushing phyllo
6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Aromatic herbs to add for flavor (like oregano, fennel, garlic, scallions and parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil or butter in large pan. Add greens and cover, cooking till wilted. Cook stirring occasionally till greens are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool a little. Squeeze out any excessive moisture.
- Lightly brush a sheet of phyllo with oil or melted butter. Stack another sheet on top and brush again. Repeat until you have four sheets of Phyllo in a buttered stack.
- Cut the stack in thirds lengthwise.
- Mix crumbled cheese, egg and herbs into the cooled greens mixture to make filling.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling onto the end of a phyllo strip. Fold the filling into the strip into triangles like you would fold a flag. Continue until all filling is used.
- Lay triangles out onto a cookie sheet. Butter the tops of each triangle.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.